Skip to main content

A Pandora’s Box of things I can never unknow


The real difficulty with learning about the amount of waste Americans generate is the flood of other information that comes with that research. According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), women are exposed to 168 chemicals in the cosmetics they use while men are exposed to roughly half, 85.
            I come from an area of the country where people are adamantly against big government and even more against governmental regulations. On the other hand, they will tell you how great it is to live in a country where the food and water are so safe and clean. Never once will they put two and two together realizing that regulatory agencies ensure their food is safe to eat. Why am I telling you this? Because I am a fan of regulating food and other products to protect us from companies trying to make a buck.
            I should not have to learn chemistry to shop for soap. However, in the US it is nearly to that point. The FDA bans only 11 chemicals from cosmetics (Cosmetics is a broad category ranging from make up to tooth paste) while the EU has banned or severely limited the use of more than a thousand and Canada bans hundreds of the same chemicals the FDA considers safe. In the US the government takes the view that something is safe until determined dangerous while in Europe and Canada chemicals must be proven safe before allowed on the market.
            Below are just a few of the reasons I would argue for greater regulation of food and cosmetics in the US:
1.     There is little to no regulation for chemical mixtures labeled as “fragrance” in the US. The FDA allows companies to claim “fragrance” blends as proprietary information. This allows companies to keep those chemical mixtures off ingredients labels.
2.     Ripe oranges are not actually orange. The FDA allows companies to spray or inject the orange skins with dye to make them more appealing to the consumer. The FDA reasons that this is acceptable because no one consumes the rind of an orange.
3.     Talcum-based body powders that were marketed for use on infants and female genitalia have been shown to meet market regulation while containing asbestos fibers.
4.     Microplastics have been found in water bottles in startling numbers. More recently microplastics have been found in the air we breathe. There is no information at this point what the health impacts of consuming small plastic particles on a regular basis will do to humans.
5.     Natural flavoring simply means that the flavor originated from a natural organism. The end product can have dozens of added ingredients to aid in maintaining or enhancing the flavor.
The lack of regulation in cosmetics and food makes it seem like this is one giant science experiment and we are test subjects. Groups like EWG work to determine the long term health effects of the chemicals we encounter every day. My hope is that some day the government will catch up to groups like this and take a hard look at what they are allowing companies to sell us all in the name of capitalism. 


Popular posts from this blog

It’s not personal, it’s business

Everyone blames coal and oil companies for the current situation regarding climate change. There is always seems to be this focus on companies who care for nothing more than their bottom line. As I have said previously, everyone is so willing to place the blame on someone else in an attempt to avoid actual change themselves.             Now I am not a great defender of big oil, but I argue that they are not the ones we should be blaming. The ones at fault are us, the consumers. If there was not a market for these resources, no one would be selling them. There is a reason you will not find cassette tapes at Walmart.             If we the consumer want change, then we have to ask for it. We have to make conscious choices about the things we purchase. This means we are going to have to really understand the brands we are choosing to support. Brands follow the ...

What difference does it make

There is one question constantly nagging me; am I even making a difference? Is what I am doing really worth it? To be honest, I am not sure. I have been able to measure my changes somewhat though not necessarily accurately. I have remeasured my carbon footprint, but the change was not remarkable. I still drive a car and heat my apartment with electricity in the winter. I do know that I buy less and throw away less. But I am just one person, and I alone will not make a difference.             I advocate for and talk about reducing waste with nearly every person I meet. Family, friends, classmates, people I volunteer with, and even unsuspecting strangers in the grocery store have heard me talk about ways to reduce waste. I have learned that the best way to get attention for my cause, is practicing it myself. Bringing my own Tupperware to the grocery or my plate to school will always prompt questions from other peo...