Skip to main content

Not for the love of animals, but for sustainability


I do not necessarily subscribe to a specific diet. I do not claim to be vegetarian or vegan even if most of my meals meet those requirements. I guess you could call my diet plastic free. It sounds strange but that is the goal when I go shopping for food.
            I was really inspired after reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. His book really focused on being in touch with the food we consume. So much of what we eat today is highly processed with added sugars, emulsifiers and stabilizers. Our great-grandparents probably would not recognize most of what America is eating today as food. Pollan’s advice for a healthy diet is, “eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”
Image source. 

            It is well understood that the meat industry in the US is a major environmental problem. Beef production requires a significant amount of natural resources, more than any other form of food production.  However, a vegan diet may not be the most sustainable choice. Research by several universities concluded that the most sustainable diets are vegetarian diets that include dairy and eggs as well as omnivorous diets where twenty percent or less of their calories comes from meat. The reason for this, researchers say, is because there are areas of land where crops will not grow, but animals can graze.   
            One thing I would like to note; this is where I get the greatest push back from friends and family. In America meals center around meat. Go to any restaurant in the US and you will notice that the menu is organized by the type of meat. I have been told dozens of excuses for eating meat. I will tell you; my favorite excuse came form a law school classmate, who told me, “in ‘Merica we eat meat.”
            In sum, I do eat meat. Though the occasions are few and far between. I would advocate that everyone eat a little less meat. Not only would it reduce greenhouse gas emissions, it is better for your wallet.



Popular posts from this blog

It’s not personal, it’s business

Everyone blames coal and oil companies for the current situation regarding climate change. There is always seems to be this focus on companies who care for nothing more than their bottom line. As I have said previously, everyone is so willing to place the blame on someone else in an attempt to avoid actual change themselves.             Now I am not a great defender of big oil, but I argue that they are not the ones we should be blaming. The ones at fault are us, the consumers. If there was not a market for these resources, no one would be selling them. There is a reason you will not find cassette tapes at Walmart.             If we the consumer want change, then we have to ask for it. We have to make conscious choices about the things we purchase. This means we are going to have to really understand the brands we are choosing to support. Brands follow the ...

What difference does it make

There is one question constantly nagging me; am I even making a difference? Is what I am doing really worth it? To be honest, I am not sure. I have been able to measure my changes somewhat though not necessarily accurately. I have remeasured my carbon footprint, but the change was not remarkable. I still drive a car and heat my apartment with electricity in the winter. I do know that I buy less and throw away less. But I am just one person, and I alone will not make a difference.             I advocate for and talk about reducing waste with nearly every person I meet. Family, friends, classmates, people I volunteer with, and even unsuspecting strangers in the grocery store have heard me talk about ways to reduce waste. I have learned that the best way to get attention for my cause, is practicing it myself. Bringing my own Tupperware to the grocery or my plate to school will always prompt questions from other peo...