Skip to main content

Not quite a mason jar


About two years into my journey into sustainability I started law school. It was the first time I was really on my own. Everyone I knew was back in Indiana, more than 500 miles away. All of that outside influence from friends and family was gone. There was no one encouraging me to go out to eat or go shopping. Instead, I needed to focus on school. And very quickly I realized that this was my opportunity to hone my skills at living without waste.
Coffee without plastic. Image source.

           
After my lifestyle “audit” I had already committed to several small changes. I had replaced plastic bags with a reusable cotton bag. I had both a reusable water bottle. I shopped second hand for clothing and mended things that could be repaired. I traded in tampons for a menstrual cup.  I stopped dying my hair and learned to accept that I am not a natural blonde. I recycled a good portion of the things that I brought into house. And I read food labels like they were the latest Stephen King novel.
            I had made some serious headway but was still filling up a three-gallon trash bag every week. Looking back, I really focused on three things; eliminating excess packaging in any form, reducing food waste and learning to do things myself.  
To begin, I had to learn how to shop without creating waste from unnecessary packaging. Currently the US andother developed countries are facing a potential crisis when it comes torecycling. There simply is no market for a lot of the plastics that are recyclable. Meaning city or county recycling centers, like mine, are being very restrictive in the types of plastics they will accept. I have also heard talk that glass and mixed paper are becoming less desirable to recyclers in my area. Therefore, reducing packaging is essential to lowering my impact.
I am lucky that in the small town where I am going to school there is a tiny shop that offers bulk dry goods. A nearby tap house does growler refills with options for Virginia made beers. There is also a weekly farmer’s market open year-round. (One caveat, it is on a weekday morning for a limited time. I am always in class at that time, so I have only managed to make it a few times in the last two years.) The first time I asked any of these places to fill my own container was a bit nerve wracking. I honestly had no idea what I would have done had they said no. But they never did.
            I extended the excess packaging ban to all aspects of my life. When going out to eat, I bring my own container for leftovers. When shopping online, I ask the sellers to ship plastic free and if they feel so inclined to ship with a reused box. I do a ton of research before buying anything online to ensure that the packaging is reusable, recyclable or compostable. Preparation is key to eliminating single use plastics and excess packaging.
            Next, I wanted to find a better way of dealing with food waste. A good portion of what I was sending to land fill was organic matter. This is a really big deal because the EPA estimates that14% of the methane the US releases into the atmosphere comes from organicmaterial not being able to break down in landfills. For organic matter to be able to break down it must have access to oxygen and inside a trash bag there is none. Thus, all the food waste Americans send to landfill everyday rots, releasing methane.
            My solution, clearly, was to compost. How to compost turned out to be a bit more of a challenge. My university does compost on campus, but I would have to bring my scraps with me to school. Not ideal. I could purchase a composting system that is apartment friendly, but that did not fit with my goal of buying less. Ultimately, I discovered that the nature center across the road from my apartment practices open air composting. They are kind enough to let me add my food scraps to their bins which are only a five-minute walk from my front door.
            Lastly, I focused on doing things for myself. I learned how to cook at home using fresh produce. I alter or mend my clothes so they will last longer. I follow simple do-it-yourself recipes for cleaning products and some cosmetics. All of these are simple tasks that just take a bit of time.

Image source. 

            As of today, my waste output is a grocery bag full every six to eight weeks for me and my boyfriend. The worst offenders for us are produce stickers, caps, dryer lint and receipts. Clearly, I am not to the level of a mason jar for two years’ worth of trash. Part of that I chalk up to my location. I do not have access to resources like someone in New York or LA. Another thing to consider is that for many of these social media influencers, the Zero Waste lifestyle is their full-time job. Sometimes I find it necessary to compromise in order to get through a difficult week at school. 



Popular posts from this blog

It’s not personal, it’s business

Everyone blames coal and oil companies for the current situation regarding climate change. There is always seems to be this focus on companies who care for nothing more than their bottom line. As I have said previously, everyone is so willing to place the blame on someone else in an attempt to avoid actual change themselves.             Now I am not a great defender of big oil, but I argue that they are not the ones we should be blaming. The ones at fault are us, the consumers. If there was not a market for these resources, no one would be selling them. There is a reason you will not find cassette tapes at Walmart.             If we the consumer want change, then we have to ask for it. We have to make conscious choices about the things we purchase. This means we are going to have to really understand the brands we are choosing to support. Brands follow the ...

Not for the love of animals, but for sustainability

I do not necessarily subscribe to a specific diet. I do not claim to be vegetarian or vegan even if most of my meals meet those requirements. I guess you could call my diet plastic free. It sounds strange but that is the goal when I go shopping for food.             I was really inspired after reading The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan. His book really focused on being in touch with the food we consume. So much of what we eat today is highly processed with added sugars, emulsifiers and stabilizers. Our great-grandparents probably would not recognize most of what America is eating today as food. Pollan’s advice for a healthy diet is, “eat food, not too much, mostly plants.” Image source.              It is well understood that the meat industry in the US is a major environmental problem.   Beef production requires a significant amount of na...

What difference does it make

There is one question constantly nagging me; am I even making a difference? Is what I am doing really worth it? To be honest, I am not sure. I have been able to measure my changes somewhat though not necessarily accurately. I have remeasured my carbon footprint, but the change was not remarkable. I still drive a car and heat my apartment with electricity in the winter. I do know that I buy less and throw away less. But I am just one person, and I alone will not make a difference.             I advocate for and talk about reducing waste with nearly every person I meet. Family, friends, classmates, people I volunteer with, and even unsuspecting strangers in the grocery store have heard me talk about ways to reduce waste. I have learned that the best way to get attention for my cause, is practicing it myself. Bringing my own Tupperware to the grocery or my plate to school will always prompt questions from other peo...